The smart & connected safety shoes that connect, protect and save workers' lives.
Smart & Connected Safety Shoes
Intellinium proposes smart PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) that can protect and save worker's life. We started by transforming traditional safety shoes into connected safety shoes knowing that this device will be hub for others smart PPE such as smart gloves or smart watch.
Leveraging the best state-of-the-art embedded hardware & software technologies, we have been following a virtualization strategy consisting in replacing "different legacy equipment" (such as man-down or panic button) into "safety apps". By doing that, we are making obsolete most of legacy equipment meaning less weight, less hardware waste and less cost.
The following safety apps are already available:
- Smart Man-Down with integrated doubt removal. Once the shoes detect that the worker either has fallen or is still for too long, the shoes vibrates to give the user a way to cancel the alert. If the user doesn’t answer the warning, the alert is automatically sent.
- Smart Panic Button with integrated doubt removal. End-User can send a “MAY DAY” (immediate assistance request) to alert his employer or colleagues.
- Mass Alert Emergency notification with worker real-time acknowledge and position.
- Remote equipment status check.
- Battery level alert.
- Bi-Directional communication channel workers/workers and workers/organisation.
A distinctive patented feature is the use of a FSR (Force Sensor Membrane) that acts as a “button” inside and outside the shoe. The shoes holder can “press” this “button” with his big toe or his hand to start a sequence (composed of 2 symbols - “short” or “long” - an alphabet derived from MORSE code but much simpler). Vibrator allows the shoe to communicate with the holder using short and long vibration following the same logic as FSR use.
An overview about technologies embedded into smart & connected safety shoe
A smart add-on that can be attached to almost any smart safety shoes/boots on the market
An example of our second generation add-on attached on a safety shoe
While some legacy safety shoes manufacturers would like to impose their own technologies for their own brand models to customers, we have designed our solution to attach to almost any safety shoes or boots in the market.
Making connected safety shoes is as simple as attaching an external lateral add-on to the upper part of your new or existing shoes.
This design brings several major benefits compared to other integration strategies (we have been tested during 4 years almost all possible scenario through extensive R&D):
(1) Attach to any safety shoes/boots. Average safety shoes lifespan is about 12 months. It would be very cost ineffective, as well as an environmental issue, to throw away all the embedded hardware each time you change your shoes. By using our add-on, you can attach or detach your add-on anytime. You can also decide to attach to your shoes and/or your boots.
(2) Improve performance & reduce SAR exposition value. By keeping telecom hardware outside the shoe, we save power and reduce EMF body exposition.
An option to benefit from internal sensor activated by your toe foot
While 80% of our customers find our add-on in line with their constraints & requirements, there are other customers that may opt for an even more advanced version of our product which integrates also technologies inside the safety shoe.
To handle situations when the end-user cannot use his hand to press the force sensor, we have also integrated a force sensor on top of the safety toe cap that allows the end-use to activate just by lifting his big toe. Our technology has been designed to provide 0% false positive rate.
The main drawback of this option is that it requires safety shoe manufacturers to integrate the technology during the safety shoe manufacturing process. We have been working for more than 2 years to improve and to make this integration easy to enable new manufacturers to provide our internal technology.
An option to get internal force sensor
The connected worker ecosystem powered by Intellinium technologies
A smart PPE ecosystem
You always wear your shoes and for that reason (and more) we decided that the shoe was the best candidate to embed the connected worker hub.
But we also know that there are some limitations:
(1) It's very inconvenient and complex to display messages on your shoes
(2) It's difficult to get bio-signal from your shoes
(3) Voice-enabled command & speakers are difficult to provide on your shoes
For those reasons, we have been extending our R&D efforts to other devices such as smart watch, t-Shirts and ear buds. The goal is to provide our customers a full integrated smart PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) ecosystem, but still open ecosystem based on standards, that can cover almost all data analytics & decision making related to worker safety, health and security.
A methodology to make your connected worker project successful !
Since 2014, Intellinium has been partnering with major industrial to develop and test connected safety shoes in the field but also the overall connected worker solution that includes APIs and mobile apps. Based on those different customer trial experiences, we have come up with a simple and efficient methodology to ensure positive outcome in your industry 4.0 connected worker project.
Phase I: Analysis, Pre-Study and Use Cases
The objective is to formalize the request, the needs and identify the state of the art, the legal constraints, the users’ demands and to check the technical feasibility of the project.
Phase II: PoC (Proof of Concept)
This phase is mandatory if the project is either very technical or very complex. In this case, the complexity of the project makes this phase a must, and will aim to demonstrate the project feasibility by finding solutions to a set of use cases defined in phase I.
Phase III: Field trial
This phase is mandatory in any cases, and will:
- Test the solution in real conditions
- Correct, update and improve functionalities using users’ feedbacks
- Check the connected safety shoes acceptance
- Involve workers counsels for data privacy and data algorithms acceptance
- Integrate IT department to integrate INTELLINIUM API
- Measure the power consumption, radiation…
Phase IV: Roll-Out
This phase aims to scale the connected safety shoes to a large number of users.
The right methodolody to ensure success